Having an extra entertainment space in your house can take your home to the next level. Whether you have teenagers that need a space to congregate or are simply looking for a way to enjoy your home more while increasing its value, adding a home theater or a media room can be a great way to do this.
Not sure if a media room or home theater is a better fit? We can help you decide which is the best fit for your remodel.
Media Room and Home Theater: What’s the Difference
While some people use the terms interchangeably, a media room and a home theater are two different types of space. A home theater has cinema lighting, a focus on the sound system, a significant portion of attention paid to the screen, and luxury theater seating. When you design a home theater, the room is set apart exclusively for watching movies. A media room is more of a flexible space. While they tend to have good sound systems and large TVs, the seating will be more adaptable to accommodate game nights and conversation. The lighting in a media room usually includes windows or fixtures that would not make sense in a home theater.
The bottom line is: a media room is a flexible entertainment space, while a home theater is focused on offering the best possible viewing experience for movies at home.
Pros and Cons of a Media Room
There is no one size fits all choice when choosing between the two.
Pros of a Media Room
- Can be used for a variety of occasions, including birthday parties, movie nights, extra guest space, slumber parties, and more
- Space for activities other than movies can be made, by adding a pool table, ping pong, football, arcade games, darts, or a board game collection and table
- Media rooms can be designed less expensively without the need for soundproofing or covering windows
- Kitchenettes or wet bars can be incorporated to make this the perfect entertaining space
Cons of a Media Room
- Will not offer the same viewing experience as a home theater
- Requires more furniture and design elements
Pros and Cons of a Home Theater
There are also plenty of pros and cons for a home theater.
Pros of a Home Theater
- Offers the chance to have a superior viewing experience at home, even better than your favorite theater
- Takes your entertaining and move nights to the next level
- Simple furniture design, so you can focus your attention and budget on the technology that goes into the movie experience
Cons of a Home Theater
- The space is not flexible, and only makes sense for viewing movies
- Can be more expensive to install or change in the future
Questions to Ask Yourself
Still stuck? Ask yourself these questions to decide which one is right for you.
- How do I plan to use this space in the near future?
- Will I want to use this room differently in a few years?
- Where do I want to focus my budget?
- How often do we watch movies?
- Do I need this space to act as a guest room or flex space?
The bottom line is, both a media room and a home theater will add value to your home now and later. A media room will provide more flexibility, which may work to your advantage during resale and allow the space to grow with you, but a home theater will give you the unique opportunity to enjoy a move the way the director intended. Depending on how you love to spend your time, either choice might be a dream come true in your home.
To get started on your project, contact us. We have the expertise you need to plan and execute your dream project. SK Home Design and Remodel provides homeowners and property owners expert remodeling and renovation services in Encino and surrounding area.